Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Get the Wall Street Journal "Morning Read" (daily "audiobook" version of WSJ) CHEAP for 16 months ($24 total)!

If you like the Wall Street Journal, but don't have a lot of time to read it, you might be interested in this deal.  Read on ...

LivingSocial is currently running a "deal" for a 3-month subscription to Audible.com (owned by Amazon - and you can use your Amazon log-in information) for just $9 (or $8 if you get lucky - as you'll see that I did in the image below).  I have written about Audible before.  If you aren't familiar with it, it is basically a service for listening to audio books (or newspapers!) on your smart phone (or I think you can still burn the books to CD's - if you happen to still live in the stone ages!).


Note that this deal is supposed to be for "new subscribers" only. But if you've already been a subscriber, perhaps there's someone in your family who hasn't been yet.

HERE is a link to the LivingSocial deal.  Full disclosure, if 3 people purchase using this link, I'll get mine for free ($8 yippee!).  If I get to 3 people who have bought it using my link, I'll change this link to the first person who sends me their link (after buying via my link).  [You could also use a shopping portal to save 8% or 9% off of $9, but I don't think you'd get the $8 deal - and it wouldn't benefit me!]

What this monthly subscription gets you is:  a) 1 "free" book credit (can be used to buy just about any book - but do NOT if you want to follow the deal I'm laying out here!), and 2) daily access to either a reading of the Wall Street Journal (not all the articles - but a nice selection) or the New York Times. Note that once you subscribe, you have to go into the settings and select with the WSJ or NYT - and then the one you select will show up in your book "library."

SO HERE IS THE DEAL, at least as I use it (feel free to use it for books if you'd like to!) ...

For the first 3 months you have your "free" subscription (you paid $8 or $9 via LivingSocial), you get 1 "free" book credit (don't use it!) and unlimited/included access to the WSJ (or NYT) during that time period.  But I suggest you "bank" those credits (you don't have to use them every month).  Then, in your 4th month as a subscriber (follow me here), you go ahead and pay for the full $15/month subscription (they will require you to put in a credit card when you sign up - that will get charged for your 4th month and beyond, if you don't cancel).  So at the beginning of your 4th month, you will have 4 book credits! ...

Now you can PURCHASE a 1-year subscription to the WSJ anytime during that 4th month (I suggest timing it so that you purchase it near the end of your 4th month - so set a calendar reminder for yourself for May 4th or 5th, if you do this today), with your payment method being the 4 book credits you've banked up (that's the price of an annual subscription to the WSJ "morning read"). Then, BEFORE YOU GET CHARGED FOR YOUR 5TH MONTH (your second full-price month), you CANCEL your account!  This is totally legit.  Any books or subscriptions you buy via Audible while you're a subscriber, remain in your account and accessible to you even after you cancel your subscription.

Thus, at then end of this deal (if you follow my steps above), you will have paid $8 or $9 for the first 3 months, plus $15 for the 4th month.  You use the 4 book credits to subscribe to the WSJ Morning Read for the next 12 months and cancel your Audible account.  So you're getting 16 months of the WSJ Morning Read for $23 or $24!  I think that's a great deal, if you're someone like me who likes to listen to the WSJ ... maybe during a commute, while exercising, or whatever ...


No comments:

Post a Comment